Looking In the Mirror of My Technology Integration

 


The Power of SAMR

SAMR is a model that has four tiers of online learning. These tiers include substitution, augmentation, modification, and redefinition. Level one and two are known as as enhancement levels because, they vastly improve the quality of students' learning experiences. Level three and four are known as transformation levels because, they require students to think in meaningful ways that go beyond simple knowledge acquisition. In other words, students are learning in a way that transforms what they ever knew about traditional teaching methods. The SAMR provides a wide range for educators since it ranges from the replacement of traditional tools to changing the way students have viewed technology before. By the end of the spectrum, students are able to experience opportunities that were impossible without the power of technology. 


Substitution

The first level is substitution. This is where educators step away from traditional pencil and paper to more modern teaching tools. There is no change to the content that the student is receiving, the only difference is the form that they are receiving it. An example of this would be using a Google Doc instead of a worksheet. In this scenario, students would have to use their computers in order to complete the activity. Here, they are given the opportunity to answer questions efficiently and faster allowing more time to be used on learning rather than writing on a piece of paper. The goal of this level is to keep it simple. 

Augmentation

The next level is augmentation. It is quite similar to substitution, however there are significant digital enhancements within. The content is once again not changed, but students are able to experience virtual features to enhance the lesson. Some examples of this would be virtual bulletin boards, interactive links, video clips, multimedia presentations, and pictures. For this level, educators should assess whether or not the digital enhancement will benefit students' productivity and understanding. 

Modification

The third level is modification. This is where educators shift from enhancement to transformation. Unlike substitution and augmentation where replacement or enhancement takes place, modification involves an actual change to the lesson's design as well as the result of what is being taught. An example of this would be having a discussion forum instead of a classroom discussion. In this example, students are able to think through their thoughts and research sources that will support their thinking. Students will also be able to provide feedback to their peers at their own pace. With this, there is an instant increase in communication through teaching online since every student is able to have a voice with their learning. 

Redefinition

The final level is redefinition. With this level, students are able to experience opportunities that they have never knew were possible within their educational careers. This is due to the fact that they are able to connect to anything and everything that is outside of the classroom. Students are given the advantage of sharing their knowledge beyond the faces that they see on a daily basis. In order to know if a lesson with integrated technology fits this level, you just have to ask yourself if this lesson would be possible without the piece of technology. If the lesson is not able to survive without it, then it certainly falls on the level of redefinition. Some examples of this would be virtual pen pals or field trips, working on online projects with local communities, having a discussion with an author, and blogging to receive feedback. 

Ms. Fejzic on SAMR

I don't think I fit on just one level, however I do believe that I spend most of my teaching between levels one and two. I often move away from traditional teaching methods, but not to the extent that I would like. Students start the day off on the Chromebooks completing a warm up instead of completing a worksheet. With substitution, I have students work on Google Slides, Kami, or Google Docs. This allows students to complete assignments while also having the ability to research unfamiliar terms instead of feeling stuck. I prefer having students use any technological resources that will benefit their learning that way they are comfortable and confident. It is way more efficient to Google a word's definition rather than looking through a dictionary. I also spend a lot of time being on level two, augmentation. I often use different programs to have students interact with content in different ways that way they enjoy what they are learning. One website that I use often is Nearpod. It is very similar to Google Slides, however there are some more benefits to it. For example, students are all on their Chromebooks as I project the slides as well. We are all on the same slide, and only I can move onto the next slide. There is also interactive slides where students are required to post their thoughts and questions. This could be done anonymously or with their posts labeled depending on how I have the setting. With more personal questions, I use the anonymous setting. I also like using Kahoot to review content with students, and Google Forms to complete assessments. When it comes to Math, I have students use ConnectED to continue to master lesson objectives through interactive games. Games seem to keep students engaged and excited to work with content. They also play games on Vocabulary A to Z for vocabulary and spelling and SplashLearn for math. 

How I feel after my self-evaluation of framework.

SAMR Dreams for Ms. Fejzic

Since I have spent the past year on substitution and augmentation, I would like to try moving onto modification and redefinition. I think these levels would benefit all students, especially the ones that I have this year. They are continuously looking for new and unique ways of learning content, and I'm right with them. I want my students to be able to transform with the ways that they learn. I believe that students remember the lessons that are engaging, productive, and impactful. This will only continue to motivate them to strive for continuing their learning whether that is in the classroom or outside of it. Now, I'd like to challenge myself with getting to these levels in order to create what seemed like impossible learning opportunities. 

Comments

  1. This is a great reflection, Mirela. I was happy to read that you now feel more aware of where you are with technology and where you can move your students. Not every lesson will fall under "transformation" and that's ok. Knowing, however, that there are some lessons you can move in this direction is a win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mirela, you did an awesome job at thoroughly describing the SAMR framework and explaining where you fit in with implementing it in your classroom. I feel the same way when looking at the TPACK framework; there are parts of it where I implement directly and fully understand how and why I do it and other parts, I feel I haven't touched base on in my classroom just yet. I also like that you included the types of sites/apps that you have your students use for practice and reference. I have heard wonderful things about Kami but have never heard of Nearpod. I like the idea of being able to project slides onto the students' Chromebooks! Definitely something I'll be looking into! --Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mirela, thanks for sharing a great post. I appreciate how you described each level of SAMR as well as ways you are at each level in your own teaching. I used Nearpod a lot while remote teaching but not since we've been back in person, it is definitely something I want to bring back and use more often.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Robotics

Troubleshooting Guide for Educators