Twitter Fingers, Go Teachers!

Personal Learning Network (PLN)

Have you ever needed to go on Pinterest or Teachers Pay Teachers in search of inspiration for a lesson? Personal learning networks are crucial for teachers in order to share ideas and resources. Just like how educators encourage students to listen to when questions are being asked by other students since they might be thinking the same thing. Educators do the same thing. If an educator is struggling to find strategies to incorporate effective classroom management, then they could easily benefit from the ideas of other educators who have mastered it. This is why it is important for teachers to be able to collaborate and share ideas. Teachers push for the needs of students, but who satisfies our needs? A burden is lifted when another teacher is able to provide a need that you have been in search of. Teachers understand one another since our experiences might have different details, but in the end it is all the same. PLNs help educators do exactly that because, they allow us to connect through specific topics. These topics is where we are able to learn from one another's expertise on the matter. 

Educational Resources

The first educational resource that I found on Twitter is Teacher2Teacher. This resource was created in order for teaching communities to connect with one another. Teacher2Teacher post tweets that remind educators why they chose this profession, questions about your classroom strategies, polls, inspirational teaching quotes, Twitter chats, interactive word walls, unique activities, and recommended resources for certain subjects or topics. They even post their own tweets to give credit to who shared an interesting idea. This allows educators to receive the information directly from Teacher2Teacher as well as being linked to the original creator to explore further if needed. For Twitter chats, they ask followers to suggest what topics should be covered in the following week's chat. They host weekly chats called "#T2TChat". On their Twitter page, they have their own website linked as well. The Teacher2Teacher website includes blogs from teachers resources, recommendations for specific educational topics, and a digital care package. This educational resource stresses the importance of each teacher, and how we can learn from one another.


The second educational resource that I found was edutopia. As stated on their page, edutopia is "Inspiration and information about what works in education. Produced by the George Lucas Educational Foundation". When discovering this source, I researched the foundation to find out more. The George Lucas Educational Foundation is "dedicated to transforming K-12 education so that all students can acquire and effectively apply the knowledge, attitudes, and skills necessary to thrive in their studies, careers, and adult lives". I really liked being able to go beyond Twitter to find out more about edutopia and its mission. The website that is linked to their Twitter profile is their own website where I was able to find specific topics such as assessment, integrated studies, project-based learning, social and emotional learning, professional learning, and technology integration. This is a website that I had no idea about prior to joining Twitter! Through Twitter, they post different articles that are from their website. Some tweets that I have Retweeted from edutopia are differentiated instruction that is sustainable and use the backward design approach, tricks to implementing inquiry, moderately releasing control to students over newly tasks, and how to tell if the content being taught is sticking to the next day. Tweets from edutopia range significantly which is beneficial since all different topics and ideas are covered. It helps that each tweet is provided with further information, so any viewer could research more if desired. Edutopia even Retweets different responses (Quote Tweets) from people to connect followers even further. 


My Twitter Fingers

I used to have a Twitter, but it died off after a few years. I was never the type of person to Tweet anything, I only enjoyed going on it to read and laugh. However, with my Twitter now it helps me connect to my career. I am able to take what I learn online and use it within my classroom. This becomes more beneficial than the time I spent before for my own entertainment. Now, my Twitter is for the benefit of myself and my students. With the educational resources that I have found, I have exposed myself to a variety of information that I might have never come across on TikTok or TeachersPayTeachers

I participated in a Twitter Chat known as #T2TChat which is from the first educational resource, Teacher2Teacher, I mentioned before. I decided to answer the sixth question since it seemed the most relevant to what I believe in. It was interesting to read the responses of others since some believed that it was not possible for all lessons could have student choice. I think I am the type of teacher to find any way to include student choice even if it is the smallest choice. Students need to have opportunities to make decisions that are best for their learning. My students love to make decisions which is why I always turn to my Star Student in order to help me make a decision when I'm indecisive. This allows for student input and makes it beneficial to us all. Some lessons could be difficult to teach since they are not engaging as others. This is why I think it is important to incorporate student choice in order for students to have a say. If all lessons had everything planned out then it would simply be too boring. I am all for students having options when it comes to their creativity which is why I make it a priority to include an element of student choice, always.


Another question caught my attention, but it was not the question itself that intrigued me. It was one of the responses. I have only ever used Google Forms as an assessment tool. I never had thought about using it as a source of feedback. I usually provide verbal feedback, but I run into the issue of the student returning because they forgot what I said. A Google Form would be a great strategy for moments similar to this that way the student would have the ability to re-read the feedback I provided. They could even use it as a checklist in order to make sure they followed all of my feedback. The response goes beyond the teacher being the only one that provides feedback. She even mentions having students give her feedback through Google Forms. This would allow her to receive feedback on the lesson which she could use for future lessons. I think this is a phenomenal way to incorporate student voice since they are able to be honest, and make suggestions that will benefit themselves and others. I would have never thought about this myself, but thankfully by participating in this Twitter Chat, now I can!



Overall, I think that PLNs are extremely useful and impactful. By participating in just one Twitter Chat, I was able to learn how I can better use Google Forms to create feedback that flowers in two directions. I always am trying to adapt my lessons to my students, so by simply asking them what I could improve would be easier than spending all my time researching ideas. The different educational resources that I was able to discover on Twitter was impactful since a lot of the ideas and thoughts that were shared are relatable. It had a wide range of information that I got to use at my own pace and liking. I would like to participate in more Twitter Chats as well since I am able to see the different points of view other educators have. It helps me understand how others think compared to myself. I can also see myself continuing to use Twitter in order to grow professionally and personally. 

Comments

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed your Twitter chat! Part of the excitement comes when you find something another educator says resonates with you, like your example above.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Robotics

Troubleshooting Guide for Educators