A Magical Tool for Educators

What is it?

Have you ever found yourself scrummaging around to find pre-assessment data in order to create an effective lesson to meet the needs of each and every student? It can become a hassle especially when you are required to give a pre-assessment for every subject pertaining to different topics and concepts. This becomes a hassle especially when trying to find where each pre-assessment is, and reviewing the data gathered. In order to use time wisely, and take off unnecessary tasks off your plate, the tool that I want to create would have student data in one central location. This student data would be specific to math since there are many concepts that are covered throughout the school year. In math, each unit focuses on a certain skill so it may become difficult to keep track of pre-tests for each unit. To add on, there are standardized, district, and teacher testing. Some assessments are able to detect students' strengths and weaknesses for you which is major help in itself. It is important to be able to use the data gathered from assessments in order to understand what a student needs to be successful within the classroom.

Reflecting

The process of this development has been interesting. I started off with focusing on all subjects for student data. However, the idea of including all subjects is challenging in itself since I was not sure how to record all this information. From instructor feedback, I realized that I should start off with student data from a specific subject which is why I decided on math. Math consists of many skills and concepts which is why it is important to track data throughout the year. In math, students are able to take prior knowledge and add on with new skills. This continues throughout the school year which is why it is crucial for students to efficiently demonstrate knowledge of each standard. The downside is that one skill can halt the progress of concepts learned in math because they connect to one another. Another challenge that I came across is how to exactly to create this tool since I was not sure if I should use a website or app. I definitely am still excited about my plan because it would truly be a lifesaver especially this year since there are twenty five students to record data on. There are so many different plans for students whether that is an accelerated program, math contract, or small group work. I feel as if I am all over the place when it comes to creating all lessons since every student is different. My tool would save me time, and allow me to use that time efficiently with creating effective lessons. The most positive aspect of the journey is knowing that it is possible, and it would be a tool to benefit teachers all over the world. 

My perspective on being a leader in utilizing technology in my classroom is hard to believe since my tool would create positive results just by creating something that seems so simple. It makes me wonder how it has not been created already especially today with all the different assessments that are given to students throughout the year. Student data allows educators to create lessons that are important especially if it is difficult. Math intimidates students from its long processes and connections to other concepts. It also can be a challenge knowing that there is one or a select few correct answers. Students can quickly become frustrated with a problem since they are not getting the answer correct. It becomes even more difficult when a student continuously tries but fails. This is why it is important to review student data in order to make sure that they are focusing on how to help each and every student whether that is from additional support or enrichment opportunities. By practicing this, educators are becoming more equipped in the growth of each individual student. Overall, I am excited to create a magical tool which would allow for quicker and faster refreshers on student math data.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflecting on Robotics

Troubleshooting Guide for Educators